Friday, November 18, 2011

In the hands of an editor?

As mentioned in my previous posting, my sister-in-law has some connections with Arkadas Kitabevi in Turkey, and a manager there mentioned that she thought the book would be interesting to this publisher.  On Monday, my sister-in-law, Neslihan, excitedly told me that an editor at the publisher wanted to see my full manuscript.  I quickly sent it, and it's now in the hands of an editor there.  Arkadas (pronounced /AR- KAH- DAH-SH/) means friend in Turkish.  What a nice name for a publishing house!  I think it would be an appropriately-named publisher to print a book that is, in part, about friendship.

Dear Neslihan is waiting on pins and needles for a response from the editor.  While I am excited and would love for a Turkish publisher to buy the translation rights for Turkey (as well as maybe the rights to the English version in Turkey), these things take a long time.  I'm sure my manuscript isn't the only one on that editor's desk.  For now, at least, I'm accepting the lack of response as long as it lasts because it's better than a form letter telling me how great my writing is but that they don't think the want to take it on.  Bring on the silence, arkadaslar!

4 comments:

  1. It could take yonks! I've waited over two months to hear back from a British publisher about a new book idea I've been working on. Happy waiting and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could take along time. So don't despair. It's wonderful that you have this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's taken 4 or 5 months for some agents to get back to me, but I don't know what to expect with an editor, and I know extremely little about the Turkish publishing industry... live and learn, I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete